IMPORTANT NOTES FOR PLANTING YOUR TREES
Planting Containerized or Grow Bag Trees
- If not readily apparent, locate trunk flare by removing excess soil.
- Dig tree hole at least two times wider than the root ball ball with sloping sides.
- Remove tree from container or grow bag and select from option 1 or 2:
- Tease apart root system, repositioning any girdling or potentially girdling roots. Spread roots over soil mound so that trunk flare is at finished grade and the tree is straight.
- With a sharp saw, shave off the entire outer one inch (1") of the root ball. Place in planting hole so that trunk flare is at finished grade and tree is straight.
- With clean, sharp pruning tools, prune off any secondary/adventitious, girdling, and potential girdling roots.
- Backfill planting hole with existing unamended soil and thoroughly water.
- Mulch the entire planting surface with composted bark applied no less than two inches (2") deep and no more than three inches (3") deep, leaving three inches (3") adjacent to the tree trunk free of mulch. Do not volcano mulch.
- Be aware of overhead utility lines. For more information, please visit Dayton Power & Light Right Tree, Right Place webpage.
- Always call 811 several days prior to digging to have underground utility lines located. This keeps you and the community safe! For more information, please visit Call811.com.